Aldrich town history
Aldrich township received the name of the railway village,
given by officers of the Northern Pacific Railroad Company,
in honor of Cyrus Aldrich, who was born in Smithfield, R. I.,
June 18, 1808 and died in Minneapolis, October 5, 1871.
He came to this state in 1855, settling in Minneapolis, and
engaged in real estate business; was a representative in
Congress, 1859-63; a member of the state legislature,
1865; and postmaster of Minneapolis, 1867-71.
Village of Aldrich Settled with coming of RailroadAldrich village was one of the important settlements
in the county at a very early date. The railroad
proceeding westward, reached Aldrich in 1872 and a
village promptly sprang up there. When the road
reached the present site of the village, a pump house
was built. This was under the charge of C. Hood, who
was succeeded by G. Gorman, who in turn, was succeeded
by M. W. Kelly in 1876. Mr. Kelly was also the first
postmaster at Aldrich. A Mr. Brown kept the first store,
but he had a limited stock. W. A. Bryant and Bro. opened
up the first regular store in March, 1878, and continued
on into the 80’s. John Gillispie, one of the first
settlers opened up a store in 1879. He was the second
postmaster at Aldrich. The Aldrich House was built by
Delos Helmer in 1881. This hotel was later purchased by T.
LaLone of Verndale who moved to Aldrich in May, 1882
and built a fine barn in connection with the hotel.
William Schulz was running the hotel as renter in June,
1883, Mr. LaLone having moved back to Verndale. In
the winter of 1882-83 L. D. French, W. F. Markus, and
J. M. Russ built a saw mill at Aldrich. The mill had
a 40-horse power engine and cut from 20 to 30 thousand
feet of lumber a day. The village grew rapidly, and
among the businessmen and institutions in 1883 was
the meat market of C. Yonser, the blacksmith shop of
James Thompson and R. H. Armstrong was the notary public.
In June, 1883, Aldrich had a population of about 100.